Thursday, July 17, 2008

Failure: Goldblum

I am having a personal crisis: I can't draw Jeff Goldblum.

Maybe I can draw something that looks vaguely Goldblumesque, once or twice, but I've given myself the task of drawing Goldblum six times for something that I'm working on (or was working on up to this point). I have penciled and redrawn all six figures many times, and I can not manage to muster more than a couple of slightly Goldblumish creatures, who seem to only get much less Jeff-like after the introduction of ink..

-A sampling of my feeble attempts at Goldblum.

Have you seen pictures of Jeff Goldblum? Of course you have. You've seen him on television, on film, and perhaps even in your dreams. You know what Jeff Goldblum looks like, as do I. I can close my eyes and picture an entire room full of Goldblums (laughing, pondering, chatting about this and that), and each one of them looks enough like him in my mind to the extent that I can certainly say, "I really, really know what Jeff Goldblum looks like," and I can mean it.


Jeff Goldblum is a chameleon. He is such a great actor that he has the ability to look totally different every time his image is captured on film, and yet he still completely remains himself. I'm confused by his nose, his eyes, his eyebrows, his chin, his damn smile-crevices.. What's up with his hair? His ears- what is going on there?

Has he had work done, or is his ever-changing appearance just the effect of aging and muscle gain and/or loss? Have you considered the possibility that there might be several Jeff Goldblums?


I couldn't draw Giada De Laurentiis, either.. and I was only trying to do just one.

(Sigh) I will get past this.. Perhaps I will at some point, sooner or later, redo what I started.. not that the idea is necessarily worth it in and of itself, but this could become a personal mission.

1 comment:

MiguelSanchez said...

Creepy? Awesome? Both?